Friday, February 11, 2011

..long, strange trip..

I'm fairly certain it's been close to a month since I last posted and much longer than that since I posted anything of actual consequence. I don't count youtube videos as consequential posts, no matter how good the songs are. O well. I'm back today, at least for the day. Lack of posting hasn't been because I haven't been doing anything, nor has it been because I was doing too much. Posting wasn't delayed because I was sick, nor was it delayed because my computer malfunctioned. More or less, I didn't post because I was lazy and/or I haven't felt a strong desire to post in quite some time. There are still plenty of times throughout almost every day when something silly occurs or a silly thought rolls through my head that causes me to think “O, I should remember that and write about it later..” only to never bother getting back to it. I have entire sheets of paper covered with scribbled notes from the new year with nothing to show from it other than sheets of paper covered with scribbled notes.

But today is not a day for thoughts derived from notes. At least not yet.
Well, okay, let me start with the notes. While no posts came from the note-taking as of yet many of these notes helped me in other areas. One area in particular: sleep. I keep a little notepad by my bed because before I fall asleep a lot of random thoughts from the previous days and thoughts for upcoming days roll through my head. I don't know if this happens to other people but it happens to me every night, well, with the exception of nights I get obscenely drunk and just pass out. Anyways, I get these thoughts that I don't want to forget. Something as simple as an item for a grocery list or a phone call to make or an email to write or a song to listen to the following day. But if I don't write this tidbit down I'll become a nervous wreck and worry about forgetting it, like it would be the end of the world if I forgot oatmeal at the store and had to go back. But I can't stop doing this. I've been like this for awhile. It's annoying.
But, yeah, so let me get you up to speed. I've been working a lot lately. I started food running, which means instead of wiping down dirty tables all day I take food from the areas where the cooks create Hula Grill's delicious menu items and then drop it off to hungry tables all day. I've been doing this for about six weeks now, I guess. Generally I'm a busser by day and a food runner by night. But I don't think anyone reads this for day-by-day updates on my life. F work. I go to the beach a lot. I'm tan. That's all fine and well and the same it's been for over a year.
Oh, that's new. I've lived on Maui for over a year. I jumped ship from the 207 in early February, sometime between the 3rd and the 5th...but I forget the exact day I left. That's pretty impressive, right? It's been a hell of an extended vacation, I'll tell you that much. 
Next week for my one year anniversary at Hula I get a free dinner for two. I'd like to find someone who doesn't drink to go with so I could get a free bottle of wine to drink to my face. “Yes, I'll have the Whipping Post pinot noir.” “Excellent choice, Matt. Two glasses?” “Nah. It's just for me. I can just sip on it from the bottle.” I love the way my mind works, the no glass thought just popped in my head right now after I typed “wine...to my face.” I HAVE TO DO THAT NOW.
Whoever's left reads this for the goofy stuff that pops up (LIKE DRINKING WINE FROM A BOTTLE AT A MODERATELY-CLASSY RESTAURANT, but let me continue..) in my life and in my head..

Like, for instance, I'm now more or less obsessed with the Animal Planet. It used to be the Food Network back in college (Giada still holds a place in my heart, though if I had it my way I'd let her hold something else. BAM.), then both the History and Discovery channels could keep me entertained for hours on end. But this was mainly because I didn't get the Animal Planet back in Maine. But let me tell you: find a time when Animal Planet is airing three or four consecutive episodes of Planet Earth, the BBC documentary. That show might be the coolest thing ever on television. It just makes you realize how easy we have it and how trivial our daily lives really are. Penguins live in -100 temps and don't eat for four months straight. Food in general for that matter. If most animals don't kill...KILL...their own food...WITH THEIR TEETH...they die. And people get pissed off when their steak isn't cooked to their desired temperature. WHAT THE FUCK. We're a silly species. Actually, let me find a different example, overcooked steak is the pits. People get mad when, well, shit, I can't think of anything. But people are damn finiky about their food and so many of us, at least in “civilized” cultures, don't lift a god damn finger to grow or raise or prepare their own food. I can't talk, either. I like my chili from a can, just like everyone should. But I sure as shit don't bitch about it. I KNOW everything I bitch and moan about is just nonsense. YET I STILL DO IT. I'M NO BETTER. I'M SORRY. 

But yeah, watch Planet Earth. It's unreal. Animal Planet has shitty reality shows, too. Don't watch those. I never have. 

 K. I guess I'm not obsessed with Animal Planet. Just Planet Earth.

Alright, this is getting dumb. How about this:

So when white folks came over to colonize the islands the first to arrive were missionaries, who were, more or less, successful in converting a lot of locals to Christianity. So nowadays there's a lot of God-talk out here. There's even a New Testament written in Hawaiian pigdin that tells the story of “da spesho Jesus told by Jesus' guys (apostles..). I have a copy. I'm pretty glad I was able to acquire one. But that's not the point of this story. The point is one of the musicians who plays at Hula and I get along pretty well so we'll always make small talk either before or after his set, but when he's going to leave he always says, “God Bless” to me. This has been happening for well over six months and it still throws me for a curve every day. I NEVER know how to respond, because I'm not religious (I realize I'm going to hell for saying this. Whatever.). I appreciate his thought, but I can't say, “You too,” because I don't believe so my act could, in turn, hex him because I'm sending him lies. I'd never want to do this to anyone, so I just tell him, “Thanks, man.” But EVERY time he says “God Bless” to me this goes through my head. And once he leaves, I giggle to myself because I tend to giggle when I'm uncomfortable. This has no reason to cause me discomfort, but it does. Woe is me.

--

I really need to write more. I wouldn't sound anywhere near as ridiculous if these were spaced out with fillers in between over a couple week span. You're getting only meat and potatoes right now. Hope you're still bearing with me........

--

For Christmas I bought myself some books. I already had too many books out here, many that I haven't even read yet, but I wanted more books so I bought myself some more books. I'm greedy with books. I hope down the road when I have a house I can have a room for all of my books that I've read which I can send people into to show just how smaht I am, as everyone with a room just for their books must be pretty smucking faht.

Anyways, I bought a book called Creating Short Fiction because I wanted to get my feet wet in short story writing. You know, beginning, middle, end. Protagonist. Rising Action. Climax. Conclusion. All of that happy horseshit. Writing a good short story is one of the many things I'd like to do before I die. Things like creating a claymation stop motion movie, hike the AT, drive across country with no time table, go all Thoureau-on-steroids and grow my own food and kill chickens and rabbits and build a greenhouse and have a root cellar and make my own compost...k, that one's pretty elaborate but you get the idea. I have a lot of hair-brained ideas that I become infatuated with for a day or a week or a month and then go dormant for many months or years only to come back sporadically when I get bored and think, “Alright, what's next?!” But now I've added “write a good short story” to the list and to start I bought the book. This came in the mail a couple of days before Christmas. I didn't wait to open it. I read the introduction while I was on the toilet that evening. Know what page I'm on now” Three. Guess I've got a lot more work to do.

But this is what I mean when I haven't really been doing ANYTHING while I've not been blogging. I haven't been reading a lot. I haven't even been watching a lot of TV. I guess I've just kind of been working a lot, and at the end of most work days I haven't felt like writing. And there's always tomorrow. And like my Grandpa always said: Anything that can be put off until tomorrow can be put off until the day after tomorrow. Love you & miss you, Grandpa.

--

This came full circle, I think? I'll close on that. I miss Maine, too, and everyone who should be cared about there. Cheers (hopefully I'm back on track now...Shit, this was a pretty weird post..).

No comments:

Post a Comment