Monday, April 5, 2010

Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again..

So Easter has come and gone.  Again.  Twenty fifth time around for me, I believe.  This time obviously was a little bit different for me as I wasn't able to kick it on the deck at the Capone house like, well, we pretty much always do on Easter.  It sounded like the weather was stellar back home so I bet it would have been a money day to sit outside, eat, drink, and be merry.  I'm not saying things weren't stellar here, as a big breakfast (At a little place called The Gazebo.  It's right on the water and only has about eight or nine tables.  I also found it to have a pretty hearty New England feel to it, which was a nice way to start the day), a beach afternoon and a little work shift was a fine day all the way around, but it just felt sort of the same as most days do around here.  I'm not a religious person but I grew up in a somewhat Catholic family so the standard holidays have always been celebrated more by gathering together than with your traditional church services.  So for me it's the secular attributes of holidays, the fun, the family, the togetherness, that makes them special, and thusly I was a little bummed to not be around for it.  J.Mac, Josh, and Ryan were much fun to spend the day with but it's just not quite the same on a holiday without Skip, Marie, and Co.  I guess you could say I treat every holiday like Thanksgiving: It's a good reason to hang out with good people, eat way too much good food and have a good beer or two (or three..).

As I live alone I had to get my own Eater candy out here, too.  I got some Starburst jelly beans and some Peanut M&M's.  The store I went to was fairly limited...and I didn't make it to the store until Saturday evening after work.  Actually I went down to Lahaina on my bike to grocery shop because the store right down the road from me had next to nothing.  Then there wasn't a whole heck of a lot more at the Safeway.  I found out yesterday I should have gone to Foodland; they had a lot of chocolate bunnies.  D'oh.  Also: What the shit is up with the Cadbury Creme Eggs these days?  They're tiny.  God damn price increases and portion reductions.  F you, Hershey Company.  I'm pretty sure you bought out Cadbury and now you shrink the eggs.  Sonofabeesting.  I don't know when this happened but I'm nervous that brownie recipe may need to be updated to add another egg or two.  I have no way to look back at the size of eggs a couple years ago but I'm 99.99999999% sure the eggs this year were smaller in size.  F.

ANYWAYS Needless to say, they're all gone now.  I like candy and I don't buy it that often...when I do I tend to gobble it down.  It's a holiday, it's ok, right?  I'm not losing sleep over it...well, not any more.  Saturday night when I got home I ate a bunch of jelly beans so it took me quite awhile to fall asleep.  Oops.

--

Live work song of the week:


There's live music on a stage at Hula Grill every day from 3-5pm and 6:30-9pm and yesterday when I was working the late show closed with Runaround Sue.  Solid track from a three piece.  They played it out for five or six minutes, too, so everyone was singing it walking through the restaurant.  It's still stuck in my head today..

Out of time; time to go to work.  Hope all of you Christians had a nice Easter and that all of you Jews had a nice Passover and all of you belonging to any other religion that has celebrated anything recently that you also enjoyed your particular celebration, too.  Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment