Friday, April 9, 2010

From my brain through my fingers onto my keyboard and onto your screen..

When I eat peanut M&M's I like to eat them individually and try to bite them in half and get the peanut out.  I have no idea why I do this but I'm pretty sure I've been doing it for a long time.  It's kind of silly.  I'd like to say that by eating them one at a time I eat less of them because it slows things down...but really I'll just snack on them for 20 minutes straight and still plow down a shit ton of them.  I ended up in Lahaina on Tuesday at a Walgreen's because Jonny needed to pick up a prescription so I took a stroll through the discount Easter candy while he was talking to the pharmacist and I happened to find some bags of dark chocolate peanut butter M&M's.  They will be the death of me but they're SO GOOD.  The dark chocolate really ties the room together.  This time around I shared some of them but let's just say I'm into the second bag and it's getting lighter by the minute.  It's a new challenge with every M&M.  If the peanut stays inside then I get to try to pry it out with my teef.  If it breaks up I cut my loses and start over again.  A neverending series of tasty, delicious treats.

While we were down in Lahaina we went to a local grind called the Aloha Mixed Plate.  It serves all different kinds of food with traditional Hawaiian, Chinese, Japanese, Filipino and some Mexican influences.  And they serve a pretty healthy portion for not alot of dinero.  I sampled a dish called the "Loco Moco."  It was quite good.  And by quite good I mean AWESOME.  The "Loco Moco" at the Mix Plate consists of handmade hamburger patties (two quarter-ish pound patties) covered with two eggs over easy.  Then all this is covered in brown gravy and served with two scoops of rice and a scoop of macaroni salad.  And if you don't think brown gravy will be appearing on my burgers in the near future then you don't know me very well.  There's another restaurant that makes a Loco Moco burger with a single ten ounce patty and needless to say it's on my list of things to try sometime in the next seven days to seven months.  I'll get to it one of these days.  No-Gaut: if you read this, seriously, throw some brown gravy on your next burger and you won't stop smiling for at least an hour after it's gone.  It's that good..

I still never remember to bring my camera out with me.  Today I had my camera in my hand as I was heading to the beach after lunch when I set it down to put my phone in my pocket, then proceded to walk out the door without my camera.  SHUCKS.  Liam is dying to see a picture of my cruiser.  I guess it's about time; I've had it for damn near two months.

The gearshift stopped working last week.  It's in the high gear so now it's just a straight up cruiser.  I may try to fix it as I think the cable just popped loose but I'm also kind of lazy and I don't enjoy getting grease on my hands.  I can get by fine with it as it is...so until something else breaks it'll stay as it is.  Plus I can burn a few extra calories because it's harder to pedal around with only one gear.  I'LL BE SUPER STRONG IN NO TIME..

--

Random History Channel fact of the week:

US soldiers in WWII were rationed eight condoms a month.

--

Whenever I have days off I try to plan ahead so when I finish my last shift before my off day that I'll be walking a fine line where I probably should have shaved before my shift...but I didn't.  Then I feel AWESOME for the next day with a little scraggle on my chin again.  J.Mac is bringing his mustache back but I just don't think I want to do that right now.  When I don't shave my face just feels better.  This could be because the Mach 3 blade I'm using is the same one I used in college but it still cuts so I keep using it.  They didn't have the color fading wear strip back then so I HAVE NO IDEA WHEN I'M SUPPOSED TO CHANGE MY BLADE.  I have one extra Mach 3 blade and four single blade Bic's left. That should last me, oh, about the rest of the year, right?

--

I started reading a book by Charles Bukowski today.  Notes of a Dirty Old Man.  It's a collection of pieces he wrote for an independent newspaper back in the day.  Actually I'm already close to finishing it, as it was a pretty nice day to read.  He came up around the time of Jack Kerouac and William Burroughs and those other folks whose names I'm blanking on at the moment that were big in the 60's.  Bukowski shits on Burroughs quite a bit in a couple of these pieces because he thought Burroughs was always kind of playing poor; Burroughs came from a wealthy family and they bought his way out of trouble at times.  Bukowski more or less lived as a scumbag alcoholic his whole life.  I don't know how, exactly, this would make someone a better writer but Bukowski seems to believe his lifestyle choices made his writing far superior to that of Burroughs.  Not that anyone cares about any of this...it's pretty silly.  But try it, Mikey.  You'll like it.  Cheers.

1 comment:

  1. Hey I saw that dish on Food Network. I think gravy makes anything taste better anyways. On another note I was at Gipper's last night where I enjoyed a couple Sam Summers and ran into Skip and had a chat for a bit. Anyway keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete