Saturday, April 10, 2010

Gecko Shmecko..

There's a gecko in my room (take that nature, NatureWoman..).  I'm not sure exactly how it ended up inside but I'm pretty sure he or she snuck in one of the many times I left my sliding screen door open while I was going wee wee.  The sliding door doesn't slide very well so a lot of the time I don't bother to shut it when I'm just walking out for a few minutes.  It's been crawling across the top of my walls for much of the evening.  At first I thought I may be an alcoholic and I was seeing imaginary spiders.  Then I was pretty sure I saw something and got pretty nervous because I thought it was a REAL spider.  I guess there's one nasty breed out here that can be a real pain in the ass.  It can't deliver venom but it can bite and it's got a big, nasty look to it.  If I ever have a run in with one you can be pretty certain I'll be over Maui very shortly after said run in.  Then it flashed again and I saw it was a gecko and I kind of lost interest in it.

After about an hour of it scrambling now and again I tried unsuccessfully to catch it with an empty cereal box.  The attempt lasted about twenty five seconds.  I'm over it now.  I think he'll be a fine roommate as long as he picks up half the rent and doesn't eat my food.  I'd have to kill him if he ate my food.  I really don't want to kill him, I just want it to find it's way back out.  At the same time I don't want to leave my door open because I don't want the West Maui Gecko Convention to be hosted here.  Decisions, decisions.  And I decide...to deal with it tomorrow.

--

Groundhog Day was just on Bravo.  About a week or two ago I was talking with a few folks about living out here and it was compared to the movie Groundhog Day.  I'm pretty certain I made this comparison but I don't exactly remember so I won't take credit for it, but, really, at times it seems like a regular Groundhog Day out here.  Every day is the same, and more or less every day you can do whatever you want.  It's kind of silly.

Groundhog Day is one of my all time favorites; it could very well be in my top five.  It's Bill Murray at his best.  When Groundhog Day came up in conversation whenever it was I got kind of bummed because I had no idea when I'd see it again; I have no DVD player and only brought The Big Lebowski and Stop Making Sense with me.  I guess Groundhog Day, and Wayne's World, too, were oversights on my part.  SONOFABEESTING.  K, I'm over it.  Best quote:
Phil: Do you know what today is...Today is tomorrow.
But miraculously Groundhog Day was on within two weeks!  Crisis averted.  Also, here's a good review and synopsis of Groundhog Day and Groundhog Day from 2004, eleven-ish years after it was released.  Like I said, it's not too bad..

I've been kind of surprised how much is actually on TV.  I don't watch a lot but no matter the time I flip the television on I always seem to find something that is pretty good on.  Sometimes it's South Park or Family Guy.  Other times it's kicking it college-style with Food Network and the History Channel.  Today it was the second half of Groundhog Day.  It's being followed by the remake of The Thomas Crown Affair.  Beautious.
[Not very] Funny aside: Rene Russo's character in the movie is from Lima, OH.  I've been to Lima, OH, home to Ohio Northern University.  Neat, right...?
I enjoy the film, but I can't stand Rene Russo's obnoxious laugh.  Ruins her nude scene, really.  She kind of sucks.  Other than that I enjoy it quite a bit.  I need to see The Matador.  I've heard Pierce Brosnan was good in that.

--

I woke up this morning and before I had to go to the office I went for a run.  When I got back from the run I took a shower to ready myself for work and came up with this haiku while I was scrubbing my face clean with my facial cleanser:

tender is the breeze
that blows the sand from your hand
but not in your eyes.

Think about it.  The beach giveth and the beach taketh away.  Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment