Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Couldn't come up with a catchy title..

Quick jump back to VH1's 100 Greatest videos of the 90's or whatever it was called.  This may very well be my favorite video...ever:

Great song, I was a big fan when this came out and still have the compact disc (titled Travelling Without Moving.  Yes, they spelled traveling wrong.  I don't know why.  Maybe in the UK they spell traveling travelling.  I never noticed this until now.  Silly, silly Jamiroquai..).  It's going in my car when I venture back outside, along with Q-Tip, Rob Zombie, and a John Mellencamp's Best of '76-'88.  I can't believe I hadn't put Rob Zombie in my car yet.  Silly me, I suppose.  I used to be a big Rob Zombie fan.  He was actually the first concert I ever saw.  At the Central Maine Civic Center.  We were out of our element.  I feel like we were probably in 8th grade, maybe just into high school.  I know we got a ride so there's no way in hell we were much older than that.  Needless to say Abercrombie was popular amongst my elitist group of friends, hence the out-of-element feel.  I was the "most hardcore" because I wore a Subway staff polo I had picked up at Sal's Boutique.  Man, were we losers or what?  At any rate it was a good show; Zombie can wail, be it White or Rob.  I'm sure I have the ticket stub somewhere but I know it was on his Demon Speeding tour.  So anyone who's studied Zombie's tour schedule feel free to chime in on what year this tour took place.  He's played Halloween shows in Lewiston a couple of times...we did not see him on Halloween...and I have no idea if that should be a good thing or a bad thing that Rob Zombie enjoys coming to Lewiston on Halloween.  I'll leave it at: scary.

Again very very random but since I've had access to the HBO...I've been watching a lot of HBO.  As I mentioned before I watched all of the Curb episodes first as I enjoy Curb quite a bit and wanted to see how the Seinfeld reunion was incorporated.  I was happy with the outcome.  I found the "Do you respect wood?" gag to be particularly funny, as I am pretty anal-retentive when it comes to coaster use.  I don't even like the idea of using newspapers or magazines.  It must be a coaster.  Under everything, hot or cold.  I probably just have too much time on my hands.  At any rate the next evening I watched In Bruges.  I found the first 3/4-7/8ths to be hilarious and well done, albeit leaving a few holes in the plot that I could drive a truck through.  However, the ending (well, everything but the last 45 seconds.  I enjoyed the last 45 seconds tremendously) left something to be desired.  I have a problem with movies that allow for someone to be shot in the neck (or anywhere else vital, for that matter) with a spectacular spurt of blood yet this character is able to live on for another couple of minutes.  Even if they're shown to be losing an inordinate amount of blood over this time (which was the case here, actually) I don't enjoy this kind of movie magic.  I always come back to some war memoir I was forced to read in high school, I think by Tim O'Brien.  I think it was called The Things They Carried.  Google tells me both of my thoughts were correct.  I like it when that's the case.  Anyways O'Brien is talking about death and how in real life it's not like the movies; when people got shot in real life they "flat fuck fell."  So, dammit, when people die in movies they should start flat fucking falling.  And that's all I have to say about that.

But I was going somewhere with Rob Zombie, and that was yesterday I watched Airheads, an awful, awful movie but it contained a live White Zombie performance set in an LA club.  Finding Rob Zombie in my compact disc collection made this amusing somehow.  I watched another movie last night, too, but I don't remember what it was.  I know the on-screen guide things gave it one star.  And you don't see many one star movies.  Then I flipped up a channel and Summer Catch was on.  Also one star.  Typical.  When I can't remember the last time I saw a one star movie TV goes and puts two on at practically the same time.  At first I wondered aloud how the hell a movie with a beautiful Jessica Biel circa 200-2001 (...just before Texas Chainsaw Massacre was remade and she had the soaking wet white t-shirt scene that somehow managed to not show nip.  Seriously messed up, but no where near as messed up as whoever came up with that movie.  That movie damn near made me crap my pants when I saw it in the theatres.  I am a wuss, but whoever came up with that movie is not right in the head.  I'm telling you right now: not right in the head.  And speaking of not right in the head...Rob Zombie is not right in the head and his movies are equally disturbing but that's another story for another time..) can get only one star.  She's worth two stars on looks alone.  Then I remembered Wilmer Valderama plays a supposed prospect and Freddie Prize Jr. has middle-nineties stuff and is a lefty.  One star may have been too many now that I've processed this sorry excuse for a Lemony Snicketts..

I'm finding out right now via imdb that Jessica Biel is only 27.  Interesting...very, very interesting.  And for being a seemingly-accomplished actor she's been in some awful movies.  This seems to be continuing...if this synopsis for a future movie of her's, now in post-production, is any indication:
A small town waitress gets a nail accidentally lodged in her head causing unpredictable behavior that leads her to Washington, DC, where sparks fly when she meets a clueless young senator who takes up her cause - but what happens when love interferes with what you stand for?
Just saying..

Now back to Rob Zombie..

 This is my favorite Cribs episode ever.  I'm not sure why.  I enjoy his music but I wouldn't say I love it.  Whatever.  "Our thought for the bedroom was to make it look  like a cross between a haunted mansion and a cheap whore house...and we succeeded."  That ceiling is dope, too.  Yep, I just said dope.  I'm bringing it back.

And here's a throwback to '98 and a pretty excellent video of him live.  He and his band mates are special, aren't they?  For an early-teen I have to say the pyro, blood, machines, videos, and (attractive...in some sadistic way..) stage dancers were pretty badass when I saw them live and still are when I see them in my nightmares..

The link below is sort of the same but has a nice discussion concerning what he tries to do accomplish with his stage shows (His talking starts a little before the 4:00 mark...but the asshole doesn't allow it to be embedded.  Jerk.)..
"I always thought...that rock shows should be absolutely, ridiculously over the top.  Just complete spectacles, you know, because you have the record.  You can sit at home and listen to it and do whatever you want with it and drive in your car, but when you go to the show it should be...it should just be ridiculous...I think that it should just be almost unwatchable; that there is so much stuff on stage that it's almost unwatchable...I haven't had any complaints..."

 And I don't know why but I really enjoy this music video.  It's probably the grainy, jumpy film.  Maybe with my new-found free time I'll make a silent movie.  With clay.  TIME TO GET WRITING!

 Hope that's enough Zombie for one day.  Expect more if I can ever uncover a copy of The Haunted World of El Superbeasto, his first attempt at a full length, animated feature that came out earlier this year.  It's quite possible as I look back over this that I have no life...Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment