Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Little things..

I worked a shift Monday (today for me, yesterday for most of you..) from noon until three pm and now I'm not working again until Thursday at 5pm.  I call this a nice, long, non-traditional weekend and I'm not mad about it.  I'm actually stoked to do, well, very little, because it's my weekend and weekends should be spent doing very little.  I worked plenty my first two weeks of real work so a week with just over twenty hours of work should be just what the doctor ordered.   It's funny because twenty hours kind of feels like full time out here because all I need is 20 hours to get my health insurance so in the whole scheme of things that's what's most important.

I feel like I NEED to make it to Wailuku in the next couple of days to get my Hawaii ID taken care of so I can feel like a legitimate resident.  I'm not going to bother to get a Hawaii driver's license because I don't want to have to turn in my Maine state.  I have too much pride in my 207 heritage to want to lose that.  And to get my license switched over I would need to take a 30 question driver's test...and that seems like way too much work when I have no interest in driving out here.  I prefer keeping it like kids' camp while I'm on the island.  A car seems like a frivolous and excessive expense out here when everything I need to get to is within 5 miles or a $2 round trip busride.  Something tells me I'm not going to go to Kahului two hundred and fifty times while I'm out here so even a $500 car seems an extreme price to pay.  I'm cheap, what can I say.

I had to fill out a self-evaluation to prepare for my 30-day review that'll take place next week.  I filled out the three page form today while I was eating my lunch and turned it in, and got $5 in Hula bucks for turning it in within 24 hours of receiving it.  The form took five minutes to fill out.  It just seems ridiculous to me that Hula Grill feels the need to bribe its employees to fill out paperwork in a timely manner.  I mean, I'm not mad at getting a couple of free drinks but at the same time I just found it funny that they'd bribe people.  It's like they treat everyone like kids.  Maybe it really is kids' camp out here..

I've been eating a lot of peanut butter and jelly sangwiches recently.  I found Skippy peanut butter on super sale at the super market so it hasn't been too bad needing to buy a loaf of bread every now and again...even though a loaf of half-decent wheat bread is usually $4 out here.  I call shenanigans on that shit, but no one seems to listen to me..  So whenever I've been hungry recently I've thrown together a little snackeroo and it has made my days much brighter.  Back in college I used to call these peanut butter sangwiches bullets.
I would take a slice of bread and load one side of the slice with peanut butter and then load the other side of the slice with jelly or jam or marshmallow fluff and then fold it in half and enjoy.  Sometimes I'd get really crazy and put peanut butter on one side, jelly or jam on the other and then put fluff on it too.  They would always be really messy to eat because I'd put way too much filling in the sangwich for one slice of bread. 
 I always eat the crust around first and then I eat the middle part because it's all soft and delicious and loaded with peanut butter and jelly.  Now that I'm actually paying for my fillings I don't use quite as much filling but I still make my sangwiches with just one slice of bread and do the fold-over.  It's just more fun, and I usually have one and then go and do something and then come back a little later and have another one.  Great taste, less filling.

Bread has been a pretty hot topic for me recently because some clock knocker stole a couple of slices of my bread out of the fridge...and that shit just doesn't fly with me.  DON'T TOUCH MY SHIT, MOTHER FATHERS.  I'm hardly in the house so I can't keep tabs on my food all the time so I don't know who exactly did it but I have my suspicisons.  For the last few days I've been keeping the few refrigerated items of food (salsa, strawberry preserves, yogurt, and bread..) I have in a plastic grocery bag that I tie at the top.  It's kind of a pain in the ass but it seems to be doing the trick.  In the whole scheme of things it's only about fifty cents but at the same time I hate when people touch my stuff.  Especially food.  DON'T DO IT.  If it happens again I'll probably freak out.

This is exactly why I like living alone, though.  If I have something somewhere I know it's going to stay there when it's just me, unless I move it.  I like to do my own thing; I don't enjoy other people around to mess with my stuff and my system.  I don't stress too much when things are bought to be shared, but these fockers aren't my friends so what's mine is mine.  It's as simple as that.  I'll figure something creative out if it keeps happening.

--

Also on food, Jon's friend Jackie made a pretty killer pesto pasta dinner for us tonight and her freshly prepared masterpiece reminded me that I need to start using pesto more with my pasta dishes.  It's quite a tasty treat and makes for a nice change of pace from red, heavier sauces.  The farmer's market down the road makes a delicious macadamia nut pesto and a small container would be a perfect size for a light dash with a box of pasta.  Jackie threw some tomato and avocado in as well, and it pretty much made my day.

Crank Yankers is on right now.  I haven't seen a Crank Yankers show in a long, long time.  Pretty happy about it being on right now.  Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment