Thursday, March 25, 2010

Maybe I was too quick to judge Mr. Bean's plan..

I've been catching quite a bit of heat over the last couple of days form people "in the know" about this new LL Bean "Signature" line and basically I've been told I should be happy a Maine company is trying to step up and compete with the likes of yuppie clothiers and that I shouldn't worry about quality diminishing because LL Bean has always been based around selling quality products.  So I'll admit that I may, MAY be wrong...but I still hope that they keep their river driver shirts just the way they are.  The jury's still out, but hopefully it comes through positively and LL Bean can establish itself as a big-name player in the market it so desires.  Go Maine.

A lot of this heat came from yet another of J.Mac's visitors, who is originally from the 207 but has been going to school in Oregon the past couple few years.  While Jon was working a shift we grabbed some dinner and talked about LL Bean and Rouge's Gallery and Maine for a solid 30-40 minutes and we both found it pretty funny being 6000 miles from the state but still conversing at length about it.  Basically I love Maine, and I don't ever see that changing.  It was a good dinner all around, too, as I had a nice fish sangwich.  Made my day, off, really.  Didn't do a damn thing all morning, hung out at the beach in the afternoon and swam a bit, sucked down a few beers watching the sunset then had a delicious dinner and drink and good talk with good people.  Solid day off, all the way around.

--


This may very well be the most comprehensive piece I've ever read on the life of a wrestler, and it was provided by a Deadspin contributer named The Masked Man.  He writes a weekly column titled "Dead Wrestler of the Week," and while it's terribly tragic that so many wrestlers have died young due to the rigors of the ring and substance use and misuse issues, I read it every week and it always takes me back to when I was little and watched all the time.

This is easily the most well done one I've read, surely due to Andre's lasting legacy on the development of professional wrestling through the 80's into the giant it was in the 90's and early 2000's.  He was pretty much the man, and hell, he still is the man today, even in death.  If you ever liked pro wrestling you'll love the read and the videos.  It'll take you back in time, man...Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment