Monday, January 5, 2009

Monday morning thoughts

This is stuff left over from the past weekend. I was going to have a very productive day today. Then I didn't. So it goes. Anyhow...

Slash does the guitar background throughout The Wrestler. I saw that in the ending credits. Another reason why the movie is strong and why you should go see it.

As I start I've realized (again this morning, for the 1007th time) that I need to get one of those voice recorders that records what you say and then you can plug it into a usb and download it to your computer as an .mp3. I may just be making up the fact that these exist but I'm a two (or three) finger (I have an itchy right pinkie that sneaks into the fold every now and again) typer so my wandering mind can't keep up with my (obviously shitty) typing ability. Just thought you'd all like to know that. Feel sorry for me knowing now I had to write my thesis using only 20% of my hands (actually, don't. It was only 19 pages before charts and appendicies for an 8 month output of 31 total pages. You should respect me for somehow graduating.) But when this technology comes into my hands watch out.

If you want to know how I'd like to write if I was creative and lingustically savvy then read Chuck Klosterman. I finally found one of his books (Killing Yourself to Live: 85% of a True Story) at the Auburn Public Library and was very impressed. Seemlessly relates his life to cheesy musical and pop culture references like I can only dream about. For the past 3 days when I think about random factoids from my life I think, "What would Chuck have to say in this instance?" only to immediately decide if I wrote anything like that I'd be a unoriginal fraud and then I give up.

Which brings me to another point: Does anyone else feel like the window of originality is closing by the second? I mean with the internet as it is and information is everywhere how long is it going to take before everything has been said? I mean, everything. For all I know this has already been said. Am I original right now or just a no good hack repeater? Or am I just trying to find an excuse to veil my laziness? This shit bugs me (But it's probably the last one. Damn.)...

Student loans are the bane of my existence. I'm just realizing this as I'm getting paid Thursday and this means another big hunk of dough immediately exits my account mere hours after it enters. For you cake eaters out there consider yourslef lucky. For the common folks I feel your pain. I guess student loans aren't the bane of my existence, but rather credit in general. If I catch that disease (myfunsarelow) then I don't really need whatever it is I am wanting at that particular time. Other than a mortgage for a house I don't see myself buying anything on credit. Ever. Call me crazy. Call me a clown. But I just don't want to deal with it. I call it a savings account.

I'll leave you with one last thing about The Wrestler and this is absolute genius on the writer's part. And I'm not going to give it away. But just think for a second the way a 1980's wrestler could be enshrined forever but has gone out of style with advanced technologies while still holding strong amongst a cult following of college kids and those too broke to upgrade. Then picture "The Ram" added to this equation in all its glory. I'm sure this sounds cryptic but I don't want to give too much away (it was a throwback in 2000 we'd bring it back to life in Sloat's basement on the small screen) because if I say anything more it will be blatantly obvious. This might actually be my favorite part of the movie. Cheers.

2 comments:

  1. enjoyed the wrestler review. and the obscure reference to past nicknames.

    while i sit in my cube, wondering what state/city my luggage is in, i cant help but think back to how drunk campbell was saturday night. just off the charts even by his standards. i'm glad you made the trek back so someone else was able to witness it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an original M. But you are correct, originality left the station about six years ago when You Tube and Myspace kicked in. Nice blog. I will try to check in occasionally...keep pushing it on Facecrack. Looks like a great time was had by all on New Years. Good to see all of you still hanging out together.

    LaRoche

    ReplyDelete